RELATE 2017 Workshop - Communication Fundamentals workshop for STEM researchers
This fall, the RELATE team invites you to participate in RELATE's flagship Communication Fundamentals workshop for STEM researchers. If you are interested in improving your communication skills and engaging in scientific communication with lay-audiences, then the RELATE workshop is for you! The RELATE directors will be recruiting new leadership to steer the organization into the future, and as such, this may or may not be the final intensive workshop opportunity.
When: September 21 - November 9, (8 consecutive Thursdays)
Time: 5:00 - 7:00 pm
What you will do over the course of the workshop:
- · Learn and practice effective techniques for communicating your research, including:
- Developing clear messages
- Using effective storytelling techniques and narrative structures
- Tailoring your communication efforts for any audience
- Developing effective visual aids
- Conveying confidence and authority with nonverbal communication
- · Build a polished elevator pitch and a short lay-audience style talk on an area of interest in your field
- · Give your talk through a public forum such as Nerd Nite Ann Arbor or create a video of your talk that you can share as part of a professional portfolio (on social media, LinkedIn, etc.)
Eligibility & Application Information:
- If you are a graduate student or researcher with a defined project and are interested in participating in RELATE, please read the attached information packet. This packet covers more details regarding the RELATE Communication Fundamentals Workshop itself and the application process, and if you participate in the workshop, you are responsible for knowing all the information contained in the packet.
- Complete the online application at https://www.learntorelate.org/application/, including
- Send us a short video describing your research as you would to a general audience. More details are described in the attached packet.
- · All application materials are due on September 1st.
- · Successful applicants will be notified of acceptance to the workshop by the end of September 5th.
If you have any questions about the workshop or the contents of the information packet, please e-mail us at RELATE.firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to see your applications soon!
More about RELATE:
RELATE is a science communication training and public engagement organization that facilitates conversations between researchers and local communities. During our practice-based workshops, graduate students and early career researchers develop lay-audience communication skills and create an original portfolio of digital media and oral presentations. Workshop participants then put their communication skills into action and engage with Southeastern Michigan communities both online and through our public engagement events. You can also visit us at www.learntoRELATE.org!