Bacterial Pathogenesis Journal Club
5613 Med. Sci. II (Novy Library)
BACTERIAL PATHOGENESIS JOURNAL CLUB 2018 - 2019
Presenter for Monday, November 26th: Vincent Young, M.D., Ph.D.
Time: Every other Monday from 10:00 – 11:00 am
Contacts: Joyce Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Anna Sintsova (email@example.com)
Some guidelines about presentations:
• Presentations should be ~30-45 min.
• The paper to be presented must be emailed to Joyce Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org) as a PDF by Friday one week before the presentation. It is the responsibility of the lab PI to assign presenters for the journal club.
• Papers should represent a substantial contribution or address an interesting question in the field. Here are some suggestions: novel strategies to combat infections, microbial pathogenesis and climate change, co-infections. It could really be anything you find interesting - the key is to get a discussion going! Please email Joyce or Anna if you are feeling stuck choosing a paper, we will be more than happy to forward you our suggestions.
• Suggested format:
1. Introduction of the bigger question to be discussed and why we should care about it
2. Explain the gap in our knowledge that the paper aims to address
3. Figures from the paper (NOTE: you do NOT have to go through every figure, the goal is to effectively convey and discuss the message in the paper)
4. Conclusions & future questions
• Bring your own coffee or tea or beverage of choice. If the hosting lab could bring some fruit or other breakfast type items, that would be nice.
• Room 5613 has a built-in monitor, but each lab should provide a computer for their presentation. If you don’t wish to bring a computer with you, please reserve one from the Micro office or contact Joyce Wang prior to your JC.
If for some reason your lab is unable to present in the assigned slot, please arrange a substitution with another lab and e-mail (email@example.com) about any scheduling changes.