Searle Scholars Program 2024
2024 Searle Scholars Program
The University of Michigan anticipates receiving an invitation to participate in the 2024 Searle Scholars Program. This internal competition has been launched in advance of this invitation. Dates may be revised.
Internal Deadline EXTENDED: Monday, July 10, by 9:00 AM
Funding Available: $300,000 ($100,000 per year, for a three-year period)
Foundation Deadline: Friday, September 29, 2023, at 5:00 PM
Nominations of faculty from ALL units of the University are welcome.
The Searle Scholars Program gives grants to support independent research in biochemistry, cell biology, genetics, immunology, neuroscience, pharmacology, and related areas in chemistry, medicine, and the biological sciences to exceptional early-career scientists who have recently begun their appointment at the assistant professor level, and whose appointment is their first tenure-track position
The Searle Scholars Program Scientific Advisory Board is primarily interested in the potential of applicants to make innovative and high-impact contributions to research over an extended period of time.
- Hold a doctorate degree.
- Applicants should have begun their appointment as an independent investigator at the assistant professor level on or after May 1, 2022
- The appointment must be their first tenure-track position (or its nearest equivalent) at an invited institution.
- Be pursuing independent research careers in biochemistry, cell biology, genetics, immunology, neuroscience, pharmacology, and related areas in chemistry, medicine, and the biological sciences.
*The Searle Scholars Program does not ordinarily support purely clinical research but has supported research programs that include both clinical and basic components. Potential applicants who are unsure if their research is appropriate should examine the research interests of present and former Searle Scholars on the Sponsor website (below).
For more information, please see the Searle Scholars Program website
The University may submit two candidates to apply for the 2024 Searle Scholars Program. The Searle Scholars Program online application submission system will be available to selected individuals once nominations have been placed.
For consideration as an institutional nominee, submit ONLY the required items below electronically by through Competition Space.
- Nominating letter from your department chair or section head. This letter should indicate the candidate’s strengths and research correlation to The Searle Scholars Program.
*Note to department chairs, divisions,/section heads: Please submit no more than two nominees for this award.
- Research plan (3-page maximum) with bibliography, figures and tables included in 3 page limit. Include (1) current areas of research and (2) define the specific research the nominee would pursue with this funding award.
- NIH biosketch.
- Recent letters of support (LOS) - 2 maximum - attesting to nominee's potential and quality and scope of his/her research. These letters are for internal review; if they were obtained for another recent award review or your recruitment application, you may use these rather than requesting new letters.
To apply through Competition Space:
- Select "Apply" on the right hand side of this page (https://umms.infoready4.com/#competitionDetail/1905315) to fill out the application form, and upload any required files.
- If you are not already signed in, log in using your uniqname and Kerberos (level 1) password.
- All details are automatically saved as you enter them. When you are ready to submit, click "Submit Application" at the bottom of the page. You will receive a confirmation email once your application has been submitted.
Questions: Please contact Paula Van Velden, firstname.lastname@example.org
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
INFORMATIONAL WEBINAR - Searle Scholars Program 2024
Joe Piffaretti, Senior Director, Corporate and Foundation Relations, Michigan Medicine will host an online conversation regarding the Searle Scholars 2024:
- Learn about the Searle Scholars Program and get the inside track on what the Sponsor is seeking in a successful submission.
- Questions are welcomed.
WHEN: Wednesday, June 7, 2023 2:00 PM-2:50 PM
Meeting ID: 960 9831 3667
One tap mobile: +16469313860,,96098313667# US